— ECFC Events —
Supporting Parent and Caregiver Mental Health and Emotional Well-Being
October 21, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm EDT
Add this event to your calendar:
On October 21st, ECFC’s 3rd Thursday programming will feature a discussion around how funders are supporting parent and caregiver mental health and emotional wellbeing, and the impact on early relational health – relationships and bonding between young children and their parents/caregivers.
Early childhood funders and health funders are supporting parent and caregiver mental health and emotional wellbeing from different lenses – such as infant mental health, maternal and child health, trauma, child welfare, the mental health of BIPOC birthing people and caregivers, and family economic security. While some funders are deep in these issues, we have not done enough in philanthropic arenas to weave together the impact of the mental health and emotional wellbeing of parents and caregivers on early relational health and the social-emotional development of young children.
Join us for a discussion with ECFC members and other funders supporting parent and caregiver mental health and emotional wellbeing to explore:
- how they are defining that work;
- what that looks like in their investments;
- the connection to early relational health and early childhood outcome;
- what is needed for equity.
We will also explore what funders are learning about parent and caregiver mental health and wellbeing as a result of COVID.
Our moderator, Elizabeth Krause, Perigee Fund, will be joined by The Burke Foundation, Zoma Foundation, and Irving Harris Foundation to explore their funding perspectives and strategies in this space. From their perspectives, funders will see multiple entry points to this work, ways to plug in with like-minded funders, and how they can strengthen supports for parent and caregiver mental health and emotional wellbeing in their existing portfolios.
Thursday, October 21st
All funders and philanthropic organizations/advisors are invited to join us.
- Ascend Publication: Two Open Windows II: New Research on Infant and Caregiver Neurobiologic Change
- 20/20 Mom Recorded Webinar: Maternal Mental Health – The First ACE (adverse childhood experience)
- How Long Can the Levee Hold? The role of caregiver emotional support in buffering children from the stress of material hardship, RAPID-EC survey of households with children 0-5.
- Life-long Negative Impacts of COVID-19 on Mother-Infant Outcomes, March 2021 webinar hosted by ECFC and Einhorn Collaborative
- Health Affairs, October 2021 issue (available online October 4) is focused largely on perinatal mental health. Mental health conditions are diagnosed in one of every five pregnant or postpartum people, yet perinatal mental health is poorly addressed by the US health care system. The issue includes
- Among the Health Affairs articles is an overview of Widespread Funder Support for Mental Health Care featuring short profiles of foundation efforts related to perinatal mental health.